Thursday, March 24, 2011

Blog Post #9

What I've learned this year
By: Mr. McClung
learning wordle
Mr. McClung wrote a wonderful blog post about the things he learned during his first year. He talked about how lessons should be student centered and be based on student comprehension. I certainly agree because sometimes we feel like we have to make it just right to look good for the principal when we need to make sure the students are our top priority. One thing he learned really hit home with me. It was that we need to have better communication with teachers. This is something that I think teachers really need to establish. If we started talking about issues and helping each other out then the school would be more beneficial to the students and the workers. Arguments happen in schools but if we can just communicate better then some of these problems wouldn't occur. He talked about how technology should be our friend and that we should never stop learning.


When he started talking about not building expectations too high because we set up our students for disappointment, I thought back to some of my past teachers who had done this. This is something that we need to be aware of because we don't want to discourage them if they fail. That is where we need to help them and tell them that they still can succeed. This sometimes is the only encouragement they might get! We also need to get to know our students so that they are able to trust us. All this takes is really listening to them and understanding where they come from. I know as a teacher we will not have a lot of time but this is something I believe we should make time for.


I am so glad that we were assigned to this blog post. It was very inspiring to me and I can't wait till the day I can make a post after my first year of teaching!!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, Brittany. Making time for our students is so important. Good things they hear from us, like telling them that they can do anything they put their mind to may be the only time they hear encouraging words. It is up to us to make a difference in the future generations. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with your statement about putting the children first. Sometimes teachers can try to impress others so much,that we fail ourselves and the children in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. As you will see this week he is an even better teacher in Year 3!

    ReplyDelete